Applications are invited for the position of Executive Director of the United States Educational Foundation in Pakistan (USEF/P) located in Islamabad, Pakistan. USEF/P is a nonprofit, binational foundation established in 1950 by a binational agreement between the governments of the United States and Pakistan to promote the goals of mutual understanding. It is managed by a binational Board of Directors.
The worldwide Fulbright Program is funded by the U.S. government through an annual appropriation from the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State which delegates responsibility for management of the program to the Department's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). The J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB), a U.S. presidentially appointed board, establishes worldwide policies and procedures for the Fulbright Program.
USEF/P is responsible for administering the Fulbright Academic Exchange Program and other U.S. funded educational grants in Pakistan. USEF/Pakistan also oversees educational advising services, and assists in the promotion of U.S. higher education throughout Pakistan.
Candidates should have 8-10 years of experience in higher education, management, or related fields, in addition to a strong familiarity with international educational exchange issues. A successful candidate will have a track-record that demonstrates the ability to respond effectively in dynamic and challenging conditions, strong financial management and planning skills, expertise in program planning and management, and the ability to demonstrate an understanding of and vision for U.S. - Pakistan educational relations.
- Extensive experience managing academic exchange programs; U.S. Government program knowledge a plus
- Substantial background in academic administration, as a program director, department head and/or dean, overseas teaching and/or research; knowledge of, or experience with, educational counseling and advising
- Ph.D. degree preferred, but not required
- Financial planning, budgeting, and management expertise; experience and understanding of a team-based management approach to program and staff administration;
- Strong oral, written, and public speaking communication skills; ability to work with multiple stakeholders including the U.S. and Pakistan Governments and U.S. cooperating partners; and ability to establish and maintain contacts with all relevant U.S. and Pakistani academic institutions
- Overseas experience; knowledge of, or experience in, South Asia or Asia region preferred.
The responsibilities of the Executive Director include the overall administration of the foundation in Islamabad and USEF/P's advising and testing centers in Lahore and Karachi; 70 total staff; travel is required within Pakistan and to the United States. She/he must be able to provide effective leadership in implementing an international exchange program that is responsive to the needs of both countries, and demonstrate diplomacy and sound judgment when interacting with U.S. and Pakistani academics, U.S. and Pakistan Government officials, and other public and private sector leaders. She/he must also possess the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with a board of American and Pakistani members and the stakeholders in both countries to ensure that USEF Pakistan fulfills the purposes of the binational agreement and the policy guidelines of the FSB. The Executive Director reports to the USEF/P Board.
A two-year, renewable contract with an immediate start date will be offered to the successful candidate. Salary will be commensurate with experience and is negotiable. At this time, no dependent children will be allowed; accompanying dependent spouse under review. Applicants must be U.S. or Pakistani citizens. Please e-mail a letter of application accompanied by a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 22, 2010. Three letters of recommendation should also be sent directly to the same e-mail address by the recommending persons. Information about the Fulbright Program can be obtained at http://www.fulbright.state.gov/ and http://www.usefpakistan.org/.
For further details visit http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000617959-01