The Higher Education Commission aims "to facilitate institutions of higher learning to serve as engines for socio-economic development of Pakistan" as stated in the mission. Along these lines, Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan took an initiative to finance proposals of completed interdisciplinary applied research projects for prototype development and industrial value addition for technology development. In this way, HEC envisages to help the productive minds of Pakistan to impact economy through new and emerging technologies.
The proposals shall be submitted by PhD scholars who have completed their PhD and have a ready research in the following specified areas;
- Telecommunication, Information and Technology/Computers (applications in Govt. services, health, textile, agriculture & dairy etc.)
- Engineering Sciences, Micro Electronics, Water, Power, Energy and Fleet Management
- Biotechnology and Allied fields (in Health, Agriculture, Textile, Leather & Dairy etc.)
- Material Sciences/Man Made Material (Nanotechnology)
- Robotics, Defence and Military needs
- Any other applied discipline which is inductive or conducive to success of products developed or upscale the process of Industrial level manufacturing.
The proposed funded projects would be expected to develop a product or service which would positively impact, inter alia, the economy, solve a current problem, meet a market need, utilize local raw materials, move current products up the value chain, create large scale employment
The proposals need to be academia-industry joint projects leading to products or services which solve a current problem or identify a new opportunity; are marketable, leading to positive cash-flows.