The Green Youth Movement (GYM) is an initiative of the Prime Minister's Youth Program. The program aims to enable youth in the country to spearhead sustainable development and green growth in the country. The initiative is also a means to transition toward SDGs no. 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15 & 17.
- Sensitize and organize youth for the promotion of environmental conservation and eco-friendly behavior among the masses
- Technically and financially invest in the demographic bulge of Pakistan youth and promote research and eco-innovation to spearhead environmental conservation and climate adaptation and mitigation
- To mentor and promote young eco-inventors at the national, regional, and international levels
- Harness global breakthroughs on eco-innovations for Pakistan
Establish model green campuses-living labs for the promotion of best practices in renewable energy, waste management, water conservation, air quality maintenance, forestation/plantation, and eco-tourism.
KEY THEMATIC AREAS
- Agriculture and forestry
- Liquid and solid waste
- Renewable Energy
KEY FUNCTIONS OF OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE/FOCAL PERSON
- Ensure the Formation and Functioning of GYM clubs
- Perform advisory role and guide GYM clubs
- Keep an oversight on the financial planning and consumption
CURRENT STATUS OF THE GYM CLUBS/FOCAL PERSONS AND OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE
100% of universities/HEIs nominated their GYM focal person
90 % of universities/HEIs established their GYM Club
98 % of universities/HEIs nominated their oversight committee members
FORMATION OF GYM CLUBS
Each public sector university (137) will establish its GYM Clubs and select the core team through 'Green Elections.' A total of 137 GYM Clubs will be constituted in public universities by adopting the following procedure:
GYM CLUB ACTIVITIES
|Themes||Activities (@ 200 thousand operational cost)|
|AGRICULTURE AND FORESTRY |
- Plantation drives - minimum twice a year.
- Tree Adoption
- Micro Farming
|LIQUID AND SOLID WASTE |
- Community clean-up drive – quarterly
- Conduct a Waste Audit of your University Campus
- Water conservation drive through Poster Competitions and Community Sessions
|CLEAN AND AFFORDABLE ENERGY|
- Energy conservation drive through Poster Competitions and Community Sessions
- Eco-tourism drive
- Students will be taken to national parks and other reserved sanctuaries to highlight challenges to the local environment and to inspire students to come up with ideas on eco-tourism.
- The students will be bound to write articles once they return and the articles will be published on mainstream media/social media.
- The participants will also be encouraged to think of ways and pilot projects to improve eco-tourism through GYM Clubs.
- The visits will also serve as an impetus for generating new marketable ideas around ecotourism in the country.
- anti-littering campaigns etc. at holiday destinations via V. Logs
For any queries, feel free to contact
Mr. Irfan Ullah
Project Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Saba Naz
Media Manager, email@example.com