In order to bring qualitative improvement in English Language Teaching and Learning Higher Education Commission in 2004 launched first ever exclusive language based project titled as English Language Teaching Reforms (ELTR). This project aims at building the capacity of English Language Teachers in higher education sector in Pakistan for effective and sustainable development. The project is the part of overall vision of prospective plan 2020 and pertains to human resource development in English Language Teaching and research in Higher Education.
After successful phase I which catered 1398 teachers of colleges and universities, the ELTR launched its Phase II in 2010. The initial target was of professional training of 1400 ELT teachers through its Long and Short Term professional development programs.
For the Terms of References of the programs click Here.
- To impart professional development training to English Language and Literature Teaching faculty in higher education institutions through long and short term training programs.
- To enhance the research capacity of English faculty by providing support through research training programmes.
- To help integrate information technology with ELT by training English faculty to develop expertise in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) and setting up of Self Access Centres (SAC) in public sector universities.
- To train English faculty to meet the demands of on-going assessments in semester systems by developing their expertise in designing and conducting latest testing techniques.
- To organize visits of International Experts for sharing different learning and assessment models for a suitable model for education system in Pakistan.
Activity, Offerings and Achievements
Long and Short term Continuous Professional Development
|Indigenous ELT Scholarships|||||
- MS in Applied Linguistics and related disciplines.
- Masters in Applied Linguistics, TEFL, TESL, ELT.
- PGD, ADP in TEFL, TESL, ELT
|||||b. Short Term CPD Courses/ Fellowships|||||
- CPD Fellowships (up to 4 week)
- Short Term CPD Courses (up to one week)
- Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL)
- Testing & Evaluation
- Research Methodology & Skills
- Androgogical/Pedagogical Skills (Teaching
- Practicum & Communication Skills)
- Open & Customized Programs in ELT related areas
* including IRP
|2||Self Access Centers (SAC)||Establishment of SAC in four public sector universities||04||04|
|3||Conferences/ Seminars etc||Organizing/funding National & International Conferences and Seminars on the theme of English Language Teaching and related issues||10||09|
|4||Funding for Research Journals||Funding to start a new English Research Journal to provide an exclusive forum for ELT researchers||05||03|
|5||Funding of Research Projects||Provide ELT Scholars with research grants for small scale research projects||05||04|
|6||International Resource Persons' Trainings||To hold/organize International Resource Person (IRP) trainings to provide international level exposure to English faculty.||12||12|