|S. No||Research Title||Research Team||Research Problem/Issue||Solution / Results|
|1||Epidemiological Disease Modelling and Molecular Surveillance of Sars-Cov-2|
Department of epidemiology and public health, University of veterinary and animal sciences, Lahore
Evaluate the effects of various interventions and prevention strategies for COVID-19.
Data gathered and analysed epidemiological measures (Morbidity and Mortality), through credible government sources will be helpful to study the important aspects of disease regarding its spread and fatalities amongst the different proportions of a population.
• Trends of morbidity and mortality frequency measures of COVID-19 in Lahore
• Modelling of Punjab data in comparison with other provinces
• Evaluating and linking various remedial measures and their impact in managing disease (statistically)
|2||Development of a Reliable, Economical and High throughput Serodiagnostic Method for Early Detection of COVID-19||School of Biological Sciences University of the Punjab, Lahore||Based on real time samples, explore virus biological structure, its multiplying behaviour, and details for early detection.|
• Formulation of SOPs for patient handling, screening, sample collection, transportation, and processing.
• Approval of SOPs from concerned Ethical Review Boards.
• Blood samples of the different groups including patients with known COVID-19 and nonCOVID19 pneumonia as well as healthy individuals shall be collected.
• Designing and expression of the truncated peptides and their analysis for antigenic properties
|3||Immunological, Viral and Genetic Basis of COVID-19 in local Patients||University of Health Sciences (UHS), Lahore||To monitor and evaluate genome variations in the Pakistani population and SARS-CoV2 strains to observe its infectivity patterns|
• Find a true picture of different responses and will help to formulate a timely national strategy to combat this disease
• Discover factors involved in pathogenesis and severity of COVID-19 in Pakistan including host immunity and genetic that response to Viral infection.
• RSCoV2 strains and host genes involved in immunity from different infection clusters in Punjab including Lahore, Gujrat, Jehlum, Rawalpindi, Multan and Dera Ghazi Khan are studied.
|4.||Mapping Immune Response to SARS-COv2 using a multidisciplinary approach||Department of Biology at Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering, LUMS, Lahore ||Understand the epidemiologic patterns and trends of transmission via collecting health related and demographic data.|
Development of epidemiological model
Data Analysis of
• COVID-19 data sorted by Gender.
• COVID 19 Positive Patients sorted by Waves
• Association of Covid positive male patients with age
• Association of Covid-19 positive female patients over age
IVIG production from convalescent plasma of COVID-19
survivors: a low risk, high efficiency passive immunization
strategy against SARS-CoV-2
|Dow College of Biotechnology, Dow University Of Health Sciences, Karachi||To demonstrate the feasibility of the modified caprylic acid method for C-IVIG production from pooled convalescent plasma (PCP) of COVID-19 recovered individuals.|
Toinvestigate the safety and clinical efficacy of passive immunization therapy through Hyperimmune anti-COVID-19 Intravenous Immunoglobulin (C-IVIG: 5% liquid formulation), on severe and critically ill COVID-19 patients.
• Study proved that for the first time use of hyperimmune intravenous immunoglobulin prepared from convalescent plasma in treating severe and critical COVID-19 patients.
• Phase I/II clinical trial is completed, and report has been submitted to Drug regulatory Authority Pakistan (DRAP). Approval for Phase II/III trial has been granted from DRAP. In fact, DRAP has written an appreciation letter to acknowledge that this is Pakistan's first biological drug developed in history that has been developed indigenously and has gone through clinical trials.
|6.||Indigenous Low-Cost Production of Ultra-Pure Taq Polymerase and PCR Mix for COVID-19 clinical diagnostic Kits||National Center of Excellence in Molecular Biology (CEMB), University of the Punjab, Lahore|
Study general molecular biology tools like cloning and expression will be optimized for
Selection of high yield target protein clone (Completed Successfully).
Fermentation of selected expression clone in 15 L bioreactor for biomass production
• Construction and amplification of Ultra-Pure Taq Polymerase gene by PCR
• Plasmid isolation and restriction analysis
• Ligation of Taq Polymerase gene with expression plasmid pET28a
• Transformation of Taq Polymerase-pET28a into B Construction of expression cassette in expression system.
• Optimization of shake flask fermentation for expression of clones.
•Large scale fermentation of selected expression clones in 15 L bioreactor for biomass productionL21(DE3) strain
|7.||Development of RT-LAMP Assay for Early Detection COVID-19||Department of Biosciences, COMSATS University, Islamabad.||Develop an alternate mode (urgent need of the method which is less expansive and dependent on sophisticated instruments). The method called Reverse-Transcriptase Loop mediated Isothermal Amplification (RT-LAMP) is used for early detection of SARS-CoV-2 (Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 without extensive equipment and HR.||Successfully completed|
• development of RTLAMP based detection of SARS-Cov-2
• optimization of reaction conditions against 3 viral genes. Currently, proceeding for optimizing specimen nature and assay validation.
• RT-LAMP detection can be opted in existing general laboratory settings present in remote regions.
|8.||Development of bioactive hospital textiles and protective suits against viruses and bacteria by immobilization of nanomaterials|
Department of Textile Engineering, National Textile University, Faisalabad.
|Developing new class of bioactive textiles which are efficient in preventing spread of pathogens by killing them for medical staff, ensuring breathability and reusability of the cloth.|
• Various effective approaches are successfully implemented to functionalize cotton fabric with promising biologically active nanomaterials/ nanocomposites/ nanoscale depositions of metals (Cu, Fe, Zn, Ti and Si).
• Antibacterial activities of all the samples are confirmed by a combination of qualitative & quantitative testing.
• Samples inhabited more than 92 % antibacterial activities for both the bacterial strains before and after 30 washes.
Phylo- and immuno- dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 infection in Pakistan: relating COVID 19 disease severity.
in with viral diversity
|Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Aga Khan University, Karachi.||Understanding the molecular mechanisms responsible for immuno-pathogenesis of disease and management of COVID-19.|
• RNA extracted from whole blood of COVID-19 cases was analysed by microarray analysis.
• Moderate and severe cases were compared with healthy controls and differentially regulated genes (DEGs) categorized into cellular pathways.
|10||Computational Modelling for COVID-19 Epidemic in Pakistan||National Institute of Health, Islamabad||Predictive Modelling of Disease Morbidity, Mortality and Assessment of Demands on the Intensive Care Units||• Ethical approvals and Data Samples of patients from leading hospitals of PIMS, IHITC and RMU collected and sorted.|
• Plasma samples transported to USA for specialized testing.