In June 2015 the United States and Pakistan established an Education, Science and Technology Working Group (ESTWG) under the Bilateral Strategic Dialogue discussed the proposal during the meeting of Prime Minister of Pakistan and President of USA to establish US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor. Both the dignitaries directed their respective governments to intensify their cooperation in this important framework to achieve the ambitious priority targets of developing high-level human capital envisioned in Pakistan's policy document Vision 2025.
According to the Plan, ten thousand (10,000) Pakistani scholars will join US universities in the next ten years as an effort of the Government of Pakistan to train its faculty resources in identified subject areas.
Phase – 1 of the plan approved by ECNEC on Jan 25, 2017, and revised later in August 2020 envisions to award 1000 Ph.D. scholarships to outstanding Pakistani students in US Universities under the project titled "PhD Scholarships under US – Pak Knowledge Corridor-Phase -1 (Revised)"
The main objectives of the project are:
- To significantly increase the number and quality of faculty in Higher Education Institutions (HEI's).
- To enhance the research and academic capacity of the Higher Education Institutions of Pakistan by providing trained manpower who will improve the quality of instruction and innovative research.
- To train approximately 1,000 potential applicants annually for university entrance exams such as GRE and TOEFL/IELTS under the "Talent Farming component" of the project.
- The program will develop a collaboration between Pakistani and renowned US institutions to transfer new research techniques focused on Pakistani needs.
Category I – Scholarship (Top 50 QS World Ranked US Universities):
For this category of scholarship, prospective applicants must have:
- Secured admission in top 50 QS World Ranked US University.
- Valid GRE – General Score (Minimum 300 in total) OR HAT Score (Minimum 60% Score)
Category II -Scholarship (Top 300 QS World Ranked US Universities):
For this category of scholarship, prospective applicant must have:
- Secured admission in top 300 QS World Ranked US University.
- Valid GRE – General Score (Minimum 300 in total) OR HAT Score (Minimum 60% Score). However, GRE – General or HAT Score is not required where admission is secured with complete tuition waiver.